Chief Executive Officer
Chief Operating Officer
Executive Vice President
Ginger Campbell, RN, PhD is a Principal with ExecHQ and CEO, HC Executives. Dr. Campbell is a versatile and results oriented executive with more than 26 years of experience in healthcare operations and consulting. Her broad experiences include aligning consulting with operations as a senior executive and Chief Executive Officer. Dr. Campbell has worked in academic healthcare systems such as the University of Florida, University of Arizona, and University of South Florida. She has also worked in community, for-profit, and not-for-profit hospitals and health systems. Her expertise includes performance improvement, strategic planning, organizational clinical redesign, change management, and integrated clinical transformation. She successfully aligns key physician and operational leaders in making value-based and patient-centric decisions. Operational improvements are achieved by working collaboratively with leaders as ‘partners’ in embracing change and ensuring alignment of accountabilities.
As Partner/Managing Director with Guidehouse (formally Navigant Consulting), Dr. Campbell functioned as an executive leader overseeing and partnering on engagements focused on building client leadership capabilities and organizational performance. Uses methodologies adapted to client environments to ensure executed strategies meet and/or exceed expectations while fostering sustainability. Serve as Project Executive and managed day-to-day operations for clients seeking diverse improvements including:
• Single to large complex multi-year engagements achieving expense reductions/revenue enhancements over $300M.
• Organizational transformation spanning enhancements in revenue cycle, clinical and ambulatory operations, pharmacy, workforce; care coordination; data utilization, supply chain, corporate services, and project management.
• Developing a ‘Clinical Transformation’ model that triangulates care design, coordination, and operations that effectively engages key stakeholders - physicians and operations.
• Introducing a methodology for conducting workforce and leaders Span of Control that embraces data and benchmarks with leadership and organizational culture drivers.
As Senior Vice President / Chief Executive Officer in Kaiser Permanente’s Northern California Region for more than five years, Dr. Campbell led two hospitals, with 23 clinics, a billion-dollar budget, more than 8,000 employees, serving over 1,200 square miles, and 375,000 members in an integrated healthcare system. Dr. Campbell lead several major projects and transformation initiatives that were successfully developed and implemented including a new EPIC EMR called Health Connect. One hospital achieved a ‘perfect’ Joint Commission survey and was top ranked in patient satisfaction. Both hospitals achieved an A ranking with Leapfrog, 5 STARS rating, and received other notable quality and service awards. She also effectively managed relationships with labor unions including California Nurses Association (CNA), SEIU, and more than 25 other professional and non-professional unions. She represented Kaiser Permanente on the SEIU bargaining committee.
As the Interim Chief Administrative Officer and Chief Operating Officer at Peace Health Southwest Medical Center and Eastern Maine Medical Center. She served as Chief Executive Officer at the University of Arizona’s Hospital at the Kino Campus, a safety net hospital with FQHC clinics and hospital-based primary care centers.
Dr. Campbell embraces a supportive leadership style that inspires key stakeholders to adopt performance improvement methods that achieve rapid and sustainable results. When needed, Dr. Campbell provides leadership in designing and executing management action plans with tracking methods required to ensure alignment with operational and strategic imperatives.
1. Skilled in adapting standards from Malcolm Baldrige Performance Excellence to organizations as a credentialed Examiner for organizations seeking this national award and granted to one organization.
2. Able to facilitate achievement of a ‘perfect’ Joint Commission survey with no recommendations nor findings. This hospital was one of two hospitals under my leadership during tenure as SVP/CEO with Kaiser Permanente.
3. Respected as a trusted advisor among executives, physicians and teams in creating and balancing options and determining optimal approaches that will minimize disruption while aligning change with strategic imperatives.
4. As interim hospital CEO and COO and fully accountable for strategic and operational performance, effectively lead five organizations through challenging issues resulting in normalizing operational and financial performance.
5. Skilled in trouble-shooting and assessing performance of individuals and departments and in turn, developed methods that enhance leader performance in effectively achieving desired outcomes.
6. Conduct assessments of organizational structures and functions to improve operational performance, achievement of strategic imperatives, and clinical effectiveness by using integrated practice initiatives, regulatory compliance and quality imperatives.
7. Partner with organizational leadership and key stakeholders in designing strategies and implementation methodologies to ensure attainment of common goals and targets.
8. Working knowledge of all aspects of hospital operations spanning clinical/non-clinical areas in community, academic, government health systems, and unionized/non-unionized organizations including bargaining teams.
9. Creative and innovative problem-solver with the ability to achieve multidisciplinary consensus among clinicians, financial and operations stakeholders accountable for developing and executing management action plans (MAPs) that align with strategic imperatives designed to enhance ambulatory operations, workforce, care coordination, supply chain and others.
10. Skilled in identifying ‘metrics that matter’ to measure and monitor performance and progressively achieve and sustain performance. Areas of focus include growth, revenues, workforce, pharmacy, supply chain and quality.
11. Developed a ‘Clinical Transformation’ model that triangulates care design, coordination, and operations that effectively engages key stakeholders - physicians and operations.
12. As an Interim CEO in a Level II, 345 bed Medical Center, achieved $7.8M improvements in 5 months.
13. Designed and lead work efforts to effectively oversee operations throughout EPIC implementation, mitigating financial and clinical risks; established a culture of ‘inclusion and accountability.
14. Facilitated implementation of productivity modeling with labor analytics resulting in the reduction of 123 FTEs, sustained productivity at 103% and reduction of overtime from 2.8% to 1.8% without impacting operations.
15. Redesigned patient throughput and clinical effectiveness programs resulting in 4% reduction in re-admissions, composite LOS 3.9 days, enhanced clinical outcomes favorable to internal, Joint Commission and CMS targets.
• Certified Nurse Administrator (CNA)
• American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
The Future Belongs to Those Who Believe in the Beauty of their Dreams.